Michael A. Crawford wrote:

Jeez, Paul, thanks for the thorough answer. I'm not new to public/ private key encryption or digital sigs, I was just hoping not to have to do it myself. Due to the extra time involved. Still, if this is what the client wants, I'm obliged to get it done.

Another option is to explain to the client that this is a never- ending arms race, which has no end-point except by declaring surrender. If they wish to start or continue ongoing funding of this race, then they should make that decision with eyes open and fully informed.

I have explained this option to clients before. Some have opted to not enter the arms race. Others have entered it with full knowledge that they are only erecting temporary hurdles, which will eventually be overcome when someone is sufficiently motivated. Sometimes the temporary hurdles are good enough for a sufficient time that the client is reasonably satisfied. Other times, I have spent more time improving the protection than improving the app. Sad but true.

  -- GG