send [[textField window] makeFirstResponder:[textField window]]; to finish any
editing in progress in textField or any other text field within the window.

or see "Forcing the End of Editing" at
http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/TextEditing/Tasks/BatchEditing.html

Some people like
if (![myWindow makeFirstResponder: myWindow])
{
[myWindow endEditingFor: nil];
}

FYI: This question has been answered many times in the list archives. :)