So I have a application that I am getting ready to put some finishing touches
on, but there are one or two things I'd like to do differently...er, better.

It is a simple tool (Cocoa Desktop app) with a slew of checkboxes (around 40 in
a separate window) that act as parameters on a command. While I show the
user-friendly wording "yard work", behind the scenes I actually use parameters
like "-lawngeneral" (if that checkbox is selected it does a check and provides
the internal naming scheme when it builds the full command). Since the latter
are part of the internal logic (and affect other systems), they cannot be
changed at this time. But, I would like to be able to give those nsbuttons a
second property that does not change depending on selection (so, alternateTitle
would not work), just to make life easier when referencing said items. In
NSMenu land, someone mentioned using setRepresentedItems, which worked great in
my needs there...is there a similar feature for NSButton (specifically
checkboxes)?

Also, it would be nice if I could intercept an nsevent that changed their text
from the user-friendly version to the internal logic titles - if only for some
better understanding by power users (like, holding down the option key at any
point in time). I've mucked around with some examples, but it seems like most
depend on a a specific method and not silently observing in the background,
like clicking on a button.

How would you handle the first request, create a dictionary, or is there
another method I missed?
And the second, I'm not even sure..

Any ideas?