Ok, after re-studying the documentation on bindings, etc, and material from the
list archives, I was able to get my tableview working with a popup menu in one
column. Neuburg's suggestions, though appreciated, let to a blind alley because
the documentation clearly states that the array that defines the menu should be
an array of strings.

The turning point for me came when I saw that the popup's content binding
should have a blank in the key field. After that, everything fell into place
logically. However, the persistence of the error message remains a mystery that
I will not pursue.

If anyone wants to know more, just send me a private email.

Lynn Barton