This seems to suggest that the presentation layer has something to do with
solving this issue, if it can be solved at all (and I'm hopeful that it can;
I doubt Apple would have created kCAOnOrderOut solely to be broken from the
start, and never fix it).

But from everyone I've talked to, no one has a clue how to make the
animation given for the kCAOnOrderOut key actually animate visibly on
screen, either before the layer has been removed from its superlayer, or
afterwards, once -removeFromSuperlayer has been called.

If anyone can provide a solution to actually showing the animation returned
given kCAOnOrderOut, it would be appreciated.

-Steven

--
Steven Degutis
http://www.thoughtfultree.com/