Am 07.03.2010 um 03:57 schrieb Jon:

> I get indications from reading that you shouldn't really subclass UIView in
> general or to do routine things,  and that any time you implement drawRect in
> the subclass of a UIView,   you are taking a performance hit compared to
> doing some drawing in other ways?

No. Where does it say that?

A view draws data (like an image) but should know nothing about any model (that
is is an image of a person record).
A view controller feeds the data (image of person) to its views.

So, if you have a special drawing ou need to perform subclass a view and
implement drawRect.

> is this true,  in the case of doing this in the ViewController,  is this
> below more efficient?  or better?  or what?

Your example just adds a subview, nothing else. It make no sense for your
question as you don’t draw anything.

> then drawing within an NStimer loop in this added subView inside the
> viewController?  (the subview bounds are as big as the whole view)

NSTimer? What? Why? Please explain what you want to do.

> etc....
>
> I guess i am not sure which way to go..  (do everything in a UIView subclass,
>  or do everything in a UIViewController subclass.)

Usually neither. You share the work between them.
Please read this:
http://developer.apple.com/iPhone/library/documentation/General/Conceptual/DevPedia-CocoaCore/MVC.html

> it doesn't seem like anything you do in the controller,  is easy to get to
> draw in a UIView subclass,  and maybe equally hard to get stuff to translate
> over to the controller if you do a lot of work in the UIView...

If your view has to do "a lot of work" something is wrong.
The view just draws information. It does not work on them.

> i'm just lost as to how an NSTimer and a looping set of code should be worked
> into these two classes..   should it be in the UIView? or the Controller?
> seems like it should be in the controller,  but then really all the work has
> to be in the controller, since you can't even call the drawRect while in the
> controller, so what would you do in the UIView?
>
> any of that make sense?

No. Because you did not tell at all what you try to achieve with your timer and
view.

        atze