OK, following up:

I've spent a couple days playing with NSRuleEditor, and I've found some stuff
out:

It appears to only be useful for a static tree of information (unless I
dynamically modify the tree as rows are added and removed).  I've come to this
conclusion based on my tests, due primarily to this observation:

I created a node-style class to represent the possible *options* of the editor
(not the final tree).  One of these options presented an NSTokenField.  I found
that if I added a row to the rule editor that displays the tokenfield, and then
add a second row (also with a tokenfield), the tokenfield from the first row
disappears and jumps to the second row.

I understand why this is happening: the rule editor was using the same node
object for both rows, which isn't how NSPredicateEditor behaves.
NSPredicateEditor uses row templates, and then duplicates the template it needs
for a particular row.  I'm looking for the same sort of behavior, except I
don't want it for predicates.

I suppose I could create a whole bunch of NSPredicateEditorRowTemplate
subclasses for each possible action (which is fine with me) and use a predicate
editor, but how could I get around the (apparent) NSExpression dependency?
Some of my actions are just single items (like "Stop evaluating rules"), that
don't have a left or right expression.  Some may have more than one expression
(like an "Other..." option that when selected, displays a textfield).

And suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks,

Dave