Finally some progress. I found that the error message I was getting appeared to
be a total red herring, and eventually tracked it down to an issue that
appeared to be happening during the store migration, where it would have a
validation error against a mandatory attribute which I normally set later in
the code before I save, but in the context of the store migration, this error
was being triggered, and totally buried, and I only found out what the issue
was by putting a breakpoint on objc_exception_throw and the looking through the
registers until I found that $r9 contained the info. Once I fixed that, I got
past that error...

But now, it is giving a different error, late in the operation, where it says

    NSCoreDataPrimaryError = "Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4
UserInfo=0x119a320c0 \"The folder \U201c(null)\U201d doesn\U2019t exist.\"
Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=2 \"The operation
couldn\U2019t be completed. No such file or directory\")";

...and if I continue, it crashes.

I have also found that in order to get this far, I need to replace my
-(NSString *)description method for one of my objects (or I get an
EXEC_BAD_ACCESS crash), so I'll have to go through that entire class and see
what that's all about.

But in the meantime, if anyone has any ideas why it would have lost the URL of
where it's supposed to be saving to, I'd be very interested in any suggestions.

Thanks

Gideon