On 15 March 2010 20:17, Andreas Mayer wrote:

> Am 14.03.2010 um 17:51 Uhr schrieb Igor Mozolevsky:
>
>> Picture a warehouse [...]
>
> It is not clear to me why you think that you need graphical representations
> for your objects.
> Wouldn't simple lists of text work at least as good?

Nowhere near as effectively - I can pack about 1000 containers in a
650x400 control, and the human brain is really slow at processing text
v. simple graphics, telling the difference between 20 or so different
colours is much easier, more precise and faster that 20 different text
descriptions :-)

> But if I really wanted to have those controls, I'd probably build them from
> the ground up. I.e create my own NSView subclass from scratch.
> I found that the more complex build-in views are working best if you only
> use them exactly as they are supposed to be. Subclassing them is often more
> hassle than doing everything yourself.

Yup, that's what I found out after playing with NSMatrix and
NSCollectionView with all the implementation requirements seemed to be
an overkill coding-wise. I went the subclassing NSView and drawing
with CG route, just got a few bits to polish off now. :-)

Cheers,

--
Igor