> However I still don't understand why awakeFromFetch is not sent in secondary
> thread - I can't find any clue in documentation? Is this a bug or is it a
> feature? I'm running on 10.6.2.

Did you try setting the NSFetchRequest option -setReturnsObjectsAsFaults:NO ?
The default setting will attempt to lazily copy the fetch results into the
managed objects as much as possible (the data is still fetched eagerly from the
database by -executeFetchRequest: as you can see with SQL logging) Perhaps you
are always touching the objects on the main thread eagerly so there is no
apparent difference there.

- Ben