Thank you all for your ideas.  With various suggestions, I found a variation of
the CDRomSample
code that seems to work well.  The sample does reads on the BSN Name of
the device root (i.e. /dev/rdisk#).  I have found that if I dig a
little deeper into the IORegistry for the device (i.e. /dev/rdisk#s0),
the code works.

Rich

________________________________

colors wrote:

> I am running into a problem with anti-virus software.  I need to be able to
> read a file from a USB CD and I need the read to actually go over the USB bus.

Why do you need the read to go over the USB bus?  If the OS itself has cached
some disk data, why force it to be transferred over the bus again?

What are you trying to accomplish?

> Does anyone have any thoughts about 1) what the AV SW is doing?, and 2) how
> to get around what it is doing?

If there were a simple way to get around the AV SW, then malware would be able
to use it to get around the AV SW, thus nullifying the AV SW.

  -- GG

This email sent to iseecol...@sbcglobal.net