> I am wondering whether it is possible to create a database in core
> data that can be opened by more than one application at the same time.
> It is currently impossible to handle one SQLite database with two
> instances of the same app. The problem is if user1 quits the app, the
> data is saved but user2's instance of the app doesn't recognize this
> file system change and just overwrites its version in memory. So the
> data from user1 is gone. Is there a way I can handle this?
>
> Second -- I am having more than two database versions now but still
> want to support my version 1.0 but the mapping model only allows one
> source model as well as only one target model. I would have to remove
> one version but that makes version 1.0 users' database unusable.
>
> Has anyone gotten something like this to work?

Yes, several Apple frameworks use Core Data databases from multiple processes
simultaneously with a single user account and single physical machine.

Do you mean "more than one application simultaneously on more than one physical
computer over NFS/AFP/SMB" ?  Don't do that.

Or do you mean an NSDocument based application using Core Data & an SQLite
store ?  NSDocuments intentionally behave like TextEdit.  Last writer wins,
overwites everything.  If so, you should be using a non-document based Core
Data project template.

- Ben