Hi Kyle,

I already have the model objects being backed by individual NSTextContainers
which then adopt the text view when they need to (using setTextView:). I was
just wondering if there are any recommendations how to conceptually handle code
folding, especially as I have line numbering. So, should I just add some
functionality (markers and mouse handling) to my NSRulerView subclass, and then
detect from the text where to draw disclosure triangles, and somehow fix-up the
line numbers? Then what to do with the text that is collapsed? One idea I had
would be to put the text that is collapsed in to a text attachment and replace
the text then by the attachment with an appropriate icon or indicator.

Does that all seem like a sensible approach?

Cheers,

Martin

On Mar 24, 2010, at 5:58 PM, Kyle Sluder wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2010, at 9:46 AM, Martin Hewitson <martin.hewit...@aei.mpg.de>
> wrote:
>
>> So, does anyone have any suggestions how one might implement such a feature?
>> This is for a LaTeX editor so I'm interested in folding blocks of code
>> between, for example, \begin{} \end{} tags, collapsing \section,
>> \subsection, etc.
>
> There isn't support for anything like this in NSTextView; you're going to
> have to mutate the text storage yourself. The upshot of this is that you can
> no longer keep your text buffer in an NSTextStorage and build your text
> system around it; you will now need to synchronize the edits made to your
> text view's text storage with whatever backing store you wind up using for
> your document (perhaps another NSTextStorage, or a different data structure
> of your choosing).
>
> --Kyle Sluder

Martin Hewitson
Albert-Einstein-Institut
Max-Planck-Institut fuer
    Gravitationsphysik und Universitaet Hannover
Callinstr. 38, 30167 Hannover, Germany
Tel: +49-511-762-17121, Fax: +49-511-762-5861
E-Mail: martin.hewit...@aei.mpg.de
WWW: http://www.aei.mpg.de/~hewitson