FYI: Remember that corefoundation is open source. 10.6.2 can be found at:
http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/CF/CF-550.13/
EXC_BREAKPOINT is an "int 3" instruction (and HALT in CF code is typically used
for this).

>From CFRunLoopStop from 10.6.2 sources:

void CFRunLoopWakeUp(CFRunLoopRef rl) {
    CHECK_FOR_FORK();
#if DEPLOYMENT_TARGET_MACOSX || DEPLOYMENT_TARGET_EMBEDDED
    kern_return_t ret;
    /* We unconditionally try to send the message, since we don't want
     * to lose a wakeup, but the send may fail if there is already a
     * wakeup pending, since the queue length is 1. */
    ret = __CFSendTrivialMachMessage(rl->_wakeUpPort, 0, MACH_SEND_TIMEOUT, 0);
    if (ret != MACH_MSG_SUCCESS && ret != MACH_SEND_TIMED_OUT) {
HALT;
    }
#else

Maybe this is what caused your crash.