Can you put a watchpoint on the expression "pipe == nil"? Maybe that would show you where it's going kablooey!

On Apr 6, 2010, at 2:08 PM, Kazior Fukacz wrote:

Thanks for your answers!

By the way, are you using garbage collection? If not, then you're leaking several objects (those pointed to by 'netstat', 'pipe', and 'string').

Yeah, I suspect that the pipes (and corresponding NSFileHandles) are indeed leaking, and that's the real problem. You may also want to create and launch NSTask instances inside an exception handler, since it and NSFileHandle/NSPipe can raise some unexpected exceptions.

I'm coding under Tiger using XCode 2.5. As far as I know garbage collection was introduced in XCode 3 which came with Objective-C 2.0, am I right?

Anyway, I tried putting a NSAutoreleasePool and draining it every time my method finishes its work. I also tried releasing the pipe manually. Still no luck.

However, putting "assert(pipe != null)" right before "[netstat setStandardOutput: pipe];" ended up with "(...)/IPShowX/IPShowX.m: 32: failed assertion `pipe != nil'". It happened about 15 minutes after launching. This might be helpful in determining what the reason of this problem might be. As we can see it is NSPipe- related. Something about allocation, initialization and releasing?

How is it that it starts to malfunction after such amount of time?

Regards,
kaziorvb

This email sent to wsqui...@satx.rr.com