I don't know how many files I'll be iterating, since I'm working on a library
that will (hopefully) end up included in many applications.  My reason for
wanting to optimize this as much as possible is so that it's as least invasive
as possible to other developers who use this.

But, judging from the responses, it sounds like NSFileManager is the way to go.

Thanks!

Dave