So, thoughts? Am I insane? Is the above scheme safe? Is there a better way? Thanks for any feedback!

(I think this question is appropriate for cocoa-dev rather than the objc-language list, but my apologies if I have posted to the wrong forum...)

My question to you would be: have you profiled this versus the standard object allocation mechanism to see if you're actually gaining anything? My understanding was that the default allocator does something fairly similar already.

Yep, it's a big win. Even if the default allocator does something similar (and I think you're right that a linked list of free blocks of a given size is maintained by the malloc code, or something of that sort), this scheme avoids a fair handful of method calls and function calls per object, and so it wins big even just with that. I can't remember what the degree of speedup was (I put this scheme in several months ago now), but it was quite substantial.

Ben Haller
McGill University