On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Charles Srstka
<cocoa...@charlessoft.com> wrote:
> How about just giving your object only one instance variable, which is a
> pointer to a C struct, with all the object’s accessor methods pointing to
> elements in the struct? Then, all you’d have to do would be to swap out the
> struct for another one, or zero the struct. No runtime hacking, no
> assumptions about the internals of the object format.

And if allocation of *that* struct becomes a performance problem, swap
in a new allocator like jemalloc. I recently read something about
Blender enjoying a startling performance improvement by switching to
jemalloc, because they malloc and free tons of small structs.

--Kyle Sluder