On Apr 25, 2010, at 7:44 AM, Bill Appleton wrote:

> hi all,
>
> i wanted to do a reality check on some of my code & ask some specific
> questions.
>
> 1) how do i get that nifty application/preferences/services menu? i create
> my menus dynamically (not nibs)

There is nothing special about these menus, other than that the system will
populate the Services menu. Research services for more info on that. Is there
something specific that you are unable to accomplish?

> 2) i need to create a raw NSScroller and control it like a NSSlider  (min,
> max, value, proportion) is that possible?

If you must, yes, it is possible.

> 3) are there window styles for palettes / document windows? there seems to
> be only one style...

Technically there are a few, depending on your target OS. But this is just what
the API gives you for free. You can make your own fairly easily (with some
caveats).

> 4) how do you guys check for memory leaks in the cocoa objects? when i
> delete a menu... do i have to delete the individual items?

For general leak detection, you can use the clang static analyzer (a simple
per-project setting) and the Instruments leak tool. Read the "Memory Management
Programming Guide" (don't have as link handy--easily found in Xcode docs or
just google "memory management cocoa"). If you ask memory management-related
questions on this list, you will just get directed to that document so you
might as well get it over with. If you plan to use garbage collection, also
(and I mean *also*, not *instead*) read "Garbage Collection Programming Guide".

> 5) is my screen flipping code below going to work on multiple monitors?

You can easily determine this yourself. The NSScreen documentation is a good
place to start for understanding how this is handled in Cocoa.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.