On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 10:43 AM, vincent habchi <vi...@macports.org> wrote:
> I need to create a short-lived NSManagedObject; ideally, I'd want it not to
> be inserted in the Core Data underlying framework, because I need it only
> during the display of an auxiliary window, and I don't want it saved anyway.
> I've tried a simple alloc, an alloc and init, but to no avail: It seems to
> create only the proxy object. Is there a way to do that?
>
> Thanks,
> Vincent_______________________________________________

What you want to do, probably, is create an object that doesn't belong
to a context (the context is what ends up saving your object to a data
store).  You should be able to do something like this:

// assuming your app delegate contains the "managedObjectModel" method, which
// the standard Xcode-generated CoreData app typically does
NSManagedObjectModel *managedObjectModel = [[NSApplication delegate]
managedObjectModel];
NSEntityDescription *entity = [[managedObjectModel entitiesByName] @"MyEntity"];
id obj = [[NSManagedObject alloc] initWithEntity:entity
insertIntoManagedObjectContext:nil];

BTW the docs for NSManagedObject clearly state that
"initWithEntity:insertIntoManagedObjectContext:" is the designated
initializer to use for creating instances, and that you shouldn't just
call "init".

--
// jack
// http://nuthole.com