On Apr 27, 2010, at 1:38 PM, vincent habchi wrote:

> Because earlier in this afternoon I decided to trace the retain/release
> messages sent to an object by overriding the respective methods and have them
> write the retain count before calling super methods. I registered most
> curious behaviors, for example objects released while the last time their
> retain count was printed it was equal to 2. No 1, no 0. That's why I asked,
> just to know if autorelease does not short-circuit the traditional release:
> call by accessing the retain count directly.

Did you really mean "objects released while the last time their retain count
was printed it was equal to..." as that's perfectly expected--releasing is just
one perfectly normal way for the retain count to be decreased. In fact, an
object being released after its retain count hits 0 is a bug.

Or did you mean "objects dealloc'd while the last time their retain count was
printed it was equal to..." because that would be curious.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_r...@elevated-dev.com