On Apr 28, 2010, at 10:57 AM, Joshua Tidsbury wrote:

I haven't yet decided on the framework for the web app (often use Rails for standalone web apps, may use PHP), but just don't want to box myself into a corner by a bad decision early on. Obviously, the notion of being able to use Core Data/SQLite on the server is highly appealing due to the clean integration with the Cocoa app.

I don't know if CoreData is going to be appropriate for this. It's not a general-purpose ORM like ActiveRecord, rather a Cocoa object persistence API that happens to be able to use sqlite as its backing store. The databases created by CoreData are opaque, i.e. you should treat their schema as a private data format used by CoreData. CD will make up a SQL schema based on your data model, but you shouldn't make any assumptions about what it is, or use other tools to directly access the sqlite database.

If you don't use CoreData, then MySQL might be a better fit for you, since it already supports networked access. I am pretty sure there are open-source Cocoa libraries for accessing MySQL, although they're lower-level than CoreData (i.e. more like the PEAR db API than like ActiveRecord.)