On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 1:00 AM, justin webster <m...@justinwebster.com> wrote:
> on the face of it coreData with bindings seems a good fit except for the
> multi client nature of this project.
> it seems like a few people have had a go at using Distributed Objects with
> the coreData classes but the documentation seems to suggest it's not really
> set up to work like that.
> has anyone here tried this?

Yes, and it failed miserably. If you do use DO (for some ungodly
reason), don't vend the Core Data objects directly. Instead, vend some
dedicated DO-oriented objects and use container classes like
dictionaries to implement your protocol on top of that.

> I also need to be able to pass more sizeable files around between the
> instances from time to time.
> I'm thinking an NSFileHandle returned from my 'vended' server class but I'm
> not sure if an NSFileHandle is of any use to the remote client.

It's not.

> could that work? is there a better way of passing whole files between apps
> like this?

Depending on how big they are, you might point all the clients at the
same NFS share, or maybe you could beam the files back and forth
directly if they're small enough.

--Kyle Sluder