On Apr 30, 2010, at 5:50 PM, cocoa-dev-requ...@lists.apple.com wrote:

> Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 16:52:56 -0400
> From: Izak van Langevelde <eezac...@xs4all.nl>
> Subject: Re: Matching the style of a HUD?
> To: Murat Konar <mu...@pixar.com>
> Cc: list-cocoa-dev List <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com>
>

> On 2010-04-30, at 3:22 PM, Murat Konar wrote:
>
>> On Apr 30, 2010, at 12:02 PM, Izak van Langevelde wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe I'm overlooking something trivial, but an NSPanel with HUD style is
>>> still an NSPanel, and not a window: I cannot seem to get the minimize and
>>> maximize buttons in the title bar?
>>
>> Are you really making a HUD or do you just want your windows to look like
>> Pixelmators? If the latter, you should
>> - reconsider if that's really the best thing for your users (if your windows
>> looks like HUDs, how will you distinguish a HUD from a garden variety
>> window?)
>>

> A HUD is slightly transparent, while the garden variety windows I have in
> mind are not...
>
>> - if so, roll your own
>

> That brings me back to my question:  how do I create matching black windows?

You normally don't.
Pixelmator did this for an image editor app.
That is a place where it *might* make sense.
Even though, it has long been more of a tradition to do the following for image
editing:
use a neutral gray or dark gray background
or
give the user a choice
(color theory is real here)
The UI of Apple's pro apps (Final Cut, Logic, etc...) tend to have darker
interfaces.

In general you'll find the Mac landscape going all the way back has tried to
make a nice interface that also gets out of the way and becomes background.
The primary focus is on the content that the user should care about.
The secondary focus is on the UI implicitly showing the user what they need to
do / know. This means making something that is thoughtful and intuitive.

A text document editor with a non-standard black UI is generally against this.
There are always exceptions in the world of design.
But seriously consider whether it is in the users' best interest or if it is an
"I think it looks cool" choice.

If you are creating a text editing app of some sort, please, please, please,
read the HIG.
Stick to the HIG.
Don't pollute the user space with apps that don't act like or look like mac
apps.
That's the windows world.

But before you decide what to do, be sure to read the HIG. It is full of years
(decades even) of thought and experience. It is pretty smart. Consistency helps
users, reduces support costs and