Unfortunately, there is nothing for the NSPredicate class to go on to assume
what object you are talking about.  predicateWithFormat is a class
method/selector/function.  What object is it supposed to assume you mean if one
is not supplied?

Dan Rowley sent me an email saying you may be able to use "self."  So, I assume
this means:

NSPredicate *pred = [NSPredicate predicateWithFormat: @"%K in %@", self,
favoriteMissions];

HTH,

On May 2, 2010, at 9:03 AM, Rick Mann wrote:

> I saw that, I had hoped that by not specifying an attribute, it would mean
> the object itself, not an attribute on the object.
>

> On May 2, 2010, at 05:58:39, Frederick Reimer wrote:
>
>> The manuals for this give the following example:
>>
>> NSPredicate *inPredicate =
>>            [NSPredicate predicateWithFormat: @"attribute IN %@",
>> aCollection];
>>
>> It looks like you are missing the attribute...  If attribute can vary, you
>> can use a %K and a NSString value representing the attribute name (it is not
>> automatically enclosed in quotes as %@ values are).
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Fred
>> On May 2, 2010, at 8:27 AM, Rick Mann wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I have two entities: Mission and Favorite. Favorite has a single relation
>>> to Mission. I need to fetch all Mission objects that exist in Favorite. I'm
>>> using an NSFetchResultsController.
>>>
>>> I created an array with all the Mission objects found in the Favorite
>>> entity. Then I tried to create a predicate like this:
>>>
>>>     NSPredicate* pred = [NSPredicate predicateWithFormat: @"in %@",
>>> favoriteMissions];
>>>
>>> and use that on a fetch of Mission objects. But it complains that it can't
>>> parse that format string.
>>>
>>> Clearly, this approach isn't going to work. I could store the Mission's key
>>> in the Favorite table instead, but that's less elegant. Might be the only
>>> way to go.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> tia,
>>> Rick