On 3 May 2010 02:00, David F. <dav...@gmx.us> wrote:

>> How on earth are you determining that it "looks like the advancement
>> should only be ~23.2" ?
>
> By counting pixels.

You mean, for example, the distance from the leftmost pixel of the 'A'
to the leftmost pixel in the following glyph? My current thinking is
that given the string 'AB' this distance would be the advance of 'A' -
the x-offset of 'A' + the x-offset of 'B' + tracking + kerning +/- the
inscrutable effect of hinting A&B +/- the anti-aliasing of A&B. OK the
kerning is probably zero in this case and you could examine the font
to find out. The tracking could well be zero but we don't really have
a way of knowing - but assuming for now that it is zero - the effects
of hinting and anti-aliasing alone would make it difficult to
determine the advance by eye at 36pt, especially to a sub-pixel
accuracy.

How are you drawing the glyphs?

Steve