On 5 May 2010, at 06:05, Ken Ferry wrote:

> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 9:30 AM, David Duncan <david.dun...@apple.com> wrote:
> On May 4, 2010, at 8:57 AM, Thomas Davie wrote:
>
> > After much searching about, I discovered (contrary to what the docs say),
> > that NSBitmapImageReps do not always premultiply their r/g/b by their
> > alpha.
>
> I think you're misreading something.  NSAlphaNonpremultipliedBitmapFormat
> exists. :-)

Indeed, but nearly the first thing the documentation says is:
"If a coverage (alpha) plane exists, a bitmap’s color components are
premultiplied with it. If you modify the contents of the bitmap, you are
therefore responsible for premultiplying the data. For this reason, though, if
you want to manipulate the actual data, an NSBitmapImageRep object is not
recommended for storage. If you need to work with data that is not
premultiplied, you should use Quartz, specificallyCGImageCreate with
kCGImageAlphaLast."

This is repeated variously through the documentation, with no mention of the
alphaNonPremultiplied format except in the constants section.

I've filed a documentation bug report :)