On 10 May 2010, at 00:50:41, G S wrote:

You need to Control-drag to a region in the NSTextView that conceptually represents a first line of text (somewhere near the top) if it's empty, or to the visible text if it's not, to select the textView instead of the scrollView.

Yep, that's it!  Thanks.  Talk about OBSCURE.

It could be considered obscure. Some people will find it, some won't I guess. I think I found it by just moving the mouse around (it's a general trick to learn in IB because embedded objects often have certain hit targets for drag-connecting to those particular parts. It can seem like a crazy mess until you figure this out).

Repeatedly clicking on it does drill down (there's only two classes), but again you need to click on the text region or the 'top line' if there's no text visible. If you Control-Shift-click it you can see and select from the window's view hierarchy.

Not even Control-Shift-click will allow access to the real textView. The bottom level in the pop-up list is, once again, the ScrollView.

You're clicking off the 'textView region' again and just hitting the content view of the scrollView (because the textView doesn't extend the full height of the scrollView's content view unless it has enough content to actually do so). Try the Control-Shift-click up at the top and you'll see the full hierarchy. Also try it in one of the scrollers, if they're visible, and you'll see an NSScroller instance (e.g. "Vertical Scroller"). It all makes sense if you think about how it's constructed.

The textView is a more obvious target if it contains some visible text in IB, but when empty it becomes rather small by definition, but it's not actually shrunk to zero height though, there's always a single line there to hold the caret and to give you something to click on.