This is the initializer pattern I settled on a few years back:

- (id) init...
{
    if (!(self = [super init])) return nil;
    return self;
}

Trillions of calls later I can report upon its serviceability.

I come from an old school, formed in the mid 60's, the Savers Institute for
Indentation Levels and Code, when Fortran on punch cards was de rigueur. My
graduate work was done at the Bell Labs Institute of Advanced Obfuscation when
C was cool. Both schools have since lost their raison d'ĂȘtre, and are sometimes
ridiculed, but old alumni still cherish their dogmas.

Tom Wetmore, Chief Bottle Washer, DeadEnds Software