On May 14, 2010, at 2:14 PM, Jens Alfke wrote:

> You don't have to use any particular version control system to use gists.
> It's just a service provided by GitHub. All it does is let you paste in some
> source code to create a web page from it, with syntax highlighting and line
> numbers and everything. Then you can link to it or even inline it into your
> page.

I tried a page on, but it didn't do the color highlighting, I need to see if
there are some options that I need to set, etc.

https://gist.github.com/53cc09788370d2acd21b

https://gist.github.com/2c096e1576c128e12800

I dont have a problem generating any kind of html, or php, I prefer colored
syntax similar to my screen captures. I really like the way Cocoa does the
Midnight Color Theme.

>> I got a really nasty note from some guy that hated the font I used. Go
>> figure ?
>
> I wasn't going to say anything, but since you're already complaining about
> people not taking your site seriously:

I wasn't complaining. When I started learning Cocoa I decided I would try to
document what I learned from a beginner's perspective, in the hopes that it
would help somebody else.

After I had posted a few tutorials I began to notice that several hundred
people had at least looked at the messages I posted on the different forums
that kept counters, and the AwStats on my hosting service showed that I was
getting 30,000 hits a month on my website, I was floored, I had no clue that
anybody would even look at my stuff. It made me very happy that maybe some of
this stuff was helping others.

Anytime I posted the messages I always asked if possible for some feedback in
order to help me make the tutorials more useful, but nobody ever said anything.
I understand it takes effort to sit down and give feedback. Since I started
doing this I have been more conscious to give others feedback on their efforts.
 I got three or four nice notes and one ugly one, but no real feedback

As for the font, I happen to like it better that arial, helvetica, lucida,
etc., but I will try to find another font that might be an alternative.

> Comic Sans is a poor choice on several levels. It has poor legibility, its
> silly appearance conflicts with the serious nature of your site, and a lot of
> people (especially designers) hate it with a passion because it's both poorly
> designed and incredibly overused by people trying to be cute. So it conveys
> sort of the same effect as if you were using animated GIFs of sparkly
> rainbows in the background of your site :)

Thanks for the feedback !

Bill Hernandez