On 13.05.2010, at 21:52, Nick Zitzmann wrote:
> I've tried searching around but haven't found an answer to this. I have
> several views that are being constantly & apparently needlessly redrawn and I
> can't figure out why this is happening. How do I catch the culprit that is
> causing the views to be redrawn? The redrawing is appearing in the usual
> place, within a call to -[NSWindow displayIfNeeded] in the run loop.
>
> I already tried the following:
>
> 1. Breaking on -[NSView setNeedsDisplayInRect:], but -drawRect: kept being
> called anyway, so whatever is causing this is circumventing this method.
>
> 2. Observing the value of -[NSView needsDisplay], but the value never
> changes, and it keeps getting redisplayed anyway. Apparently the value is a
> perpetual YES...

 What about a view on top of/behind those views? It's not uncommon that e.g. a
pulsing default button causes the view it is embedded on to commonly redraw
(though that would generally cause a redraw on another thread, so is probably
not your current case).

 Have you tried examining (or even framing) the dirty rects? Maybe that will
show you what other object could be causing this redraw?

Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
"The Witnesses of TeachText are everywhere..."
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mac-gui-dev/