Hi all,

I have been programming on the mac for many years but have only just started
trying to get the hang of cocoa. I have a particular question about
NSNotification that I hope somebody will be able to help with.

My code works with a firewire video camera, and receives callbacks from the
camera driver when a new video frame is received. Whenever this occurs, the UI
needs to be updated to display the latest video frame. The UI update must run
on the main thread - the callback thread is not a suitable place to do the
update. Furthermore I would like to use NSPostWhenIdle and coalescing - if
several new frames arrive between updates then we only need to draw the most
recent.

I am not sure how I should be achieving this.
- I can call enqueueNotification on the default queue, but this will never run
since the callback thread is not running a CFRunLoop, and is not the thread I
wanted it to run on anyway.
- I could try acquiring the NSNotificationQueue for the main thread, but there
does not appear to be a standard way of doing that. I have seen this suggested
as a strategy elsewhere, but I think I have also read that one is not meant to
post to queues other than that of the current thread (not sure why...).
- I could try using NSDistributedNotificationCenter, but that seems overkill
for what I want in terms of performance and its inherent limitations.

I feel there must be a simple way of doing what I want - can anybody advise?

Thanks in advance
Jonny