On 2010 May 21, at 11:30, James Maxwell wrote:

> I built a model that seems about right, to me, but I can't seem to bind it to
> anything

I don't know how you "bind it [a model]".  The only thing which you can bind
are bindings.  Admittedly, the terminology is very confusing and the word
"binding" in particular has several definitions.  But you've got to read the
Cocoa Bindings documentation and learn it.

> I've been looking around at various Core Data tutorials, and I noticed that
> they're either for document-based apps, or they're created from a template,
> which I guess must provide the appropriate AppDelegate (at least, that's
> implied by one of the tutorials, at mactech.com). My app is document-based,
> but I don't want this data stored with the document -- it should persist
> across all documents, pretty much like a user default

Although your stated requirement of persistent application data as well as
persistent document data is fairly common in real life, Apple's Core Data
tutorials are fairly simple and do not demonstrate this.  But it's
straightforward.  You can have a persistent store in ~/Library/Application
Support, as well as one in each document.

>  (and besides, I'm subclassing GCDrawKit's "DKDrawingDocument" already).

DKDrawingDocument inherits NSDocument, not NSPersistentDocument.  Therefore,
you're not going to get a Core Data document.  By the way, this might also be
the reason why whatever it is you're binding doesn't find a managed object
context in whatever it is you're binding to.  You could try changing the
declaration of DKDrawingDocument to make it inherit from NSPersistentDocument,
but I expect that a lot of pain might lie ahead.

> I get the same error when binding to Shared User Defaults, so I'm kinda
> stumped...

Again, no one can figure out what you're "binding".