I'm going to have some icons made for my app, and I'm wondering to
what size they should be made. I've been using some placeholder type
icons and when I looked at each of their sizes, they are actually
different sizes when they appear in Finder. But when I used them in my
app on buttons, it seems they were resized in some way to fit the
current button. The buttons on my app *I believe* are mostly 32x32
when I view them in Finder. But I noticed one is actually 128x128,
though it appears in my app the same size as the 32x32's. In interface
builder, I've got mostly controls of size 'small'.

To what size should I request icons be made? A larger more detailed
size and then do they get resized for the button type or how does that
work?