On Jun 14, 2010, at 4:52 AM, Boris Prohaska wrote:

> i was just wondering, is there any way to determine when for example a
> network cable is plugged off while copying data to a network share? The
> Finder has a pretty long timeout...
>
> Is there a way in the FS API or ANY other way to get notified, when a volume
> isn't available for writing anymore?

If you just want to know when a volume disappears (is unmounted), NSWorkspace
provides notifications for that.  But I don't think that will address the issue
you describe.

The problem is that the volume hasn't disappeared, it's just incommunicado as
far as the OS is concerned.  If it had disappeared in a way that the OS was
aware of, then there would be no way for something to be stuck writing to it
(or to begin writing to it, etc.).  That is, there would be no paths to it for
opening new file descriptors and all existing file descriptors would return
errors on access.

-Ken