On Jun 15, 2010, at 2:56 PM, Lightning Duck wrote:

> I need to make an application  that runs a bit as a 'service' if you will.
> Not in the sense of running from the "Services" menu but something the tuns
> continually in the background with an Icon in the Dock or a Window of it's
> own, that monitors when files are added or removed from a directory
>
> So basically I have two requirements
>
> Monitor the contents of a directory
>
> Run without visibility?
>
> Can anyone send me to some pointers for how to do either, or both, of these
> tasks?

It sounds like you want a launchd agent.  launchd can launch your program when
certain paths are modified, via the WatchPaths or QueueDirectories info plist
keys.

The advantage of this approach is that your process does not have to run
continuously in the background: it's launched on-demand, and can exit when it's
finished.