"Is the compiler/runtime being clever enough to retain it because it is
going to be needed in the inner block (if so: very clever!)?"

Yes, it is very clever.

When creating the block, the ObjC compiler also specifies the Object stored
into the block metadata. When the block is copied (which is done as soon as
you call dispatch_async), the copied block retains these objects.

Note that it only works for blocks and ObjectiveC objects with some
(logical) special cases (ivars, __block).

See:
http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/Blocks/Articles/bxVariables.html

--
Julien