In my project I have some preferences in a tabview style, but I'd like to move
towards a more mac-like interface for this (Safari, Mail)...probably using
NSToolbar.

I've seen examples (usually pretty dated) that reference a few different styles:

1) Tabless NSTabView using a Toolbar with actions (selectTabViewItem:Blah)
2) Some third-party frameworks and code (BWToolkit - buggy, SS_PrefsController,
DBPrefsWindowController, etc)
3) Private APIs from Apple (NSPrefernces)
4) Toolbar-only approach

I'd read through the archives...but see mostly older posts, so I'd like to see
what people are doing these days...

I was wondering about the experiences out there...and any best practices
recommendations. I see a lot of projects using the last method, and using code
more than IB to put it together - love to know what people are using out there!

Thanks,
jeremy