Apparently I've never noticed that in my open panels, I can't select aliases.
Say for instance that on my Desktop there is an alias to deeply nested folder.
In the open panel, when it lists the Desktop folder's contents, the alias is
disabled so I can't double-click on it to drill into that folder's contents.

What's the correct setting to enable that? I can't seem to find anything.

        NSOpenPanel * panel = [NSOpenPanel openPanel];
        [panel setDelegate:self];
        [panel setResolvesAliases:YES];
        [panel setCanChooseFiles:YES];
        [panel setCanChooseDirectories:NO];
        [panel beginSheetForDirectory:nil file:nil types:nil
                modalForWindow:window
                modalDelegate:self
                didEndSelector:@selector(..)
                contextInfo:nil];