I use one of the standard approaches to opening a NSWindowController sheet;
that is, my external Controller calls:

        [NSApp beginSheet:...]

each of the IB buttons are connected via IBActions that close the sheet via:

        [NSApp stopModal];   // sender = NSButton and [sender window] = sheet
        [NSApp endSheet:[sender window] returnCode:theCode];   // calls
didEndSelector:

The didEndSelector: looks like:

- (void )sheetDidEnd:(NSWindow *)sheet returnCode:(int)returnCode
contextInfo:(void *)contextInfo

which calls:

        [sheet orderOut:self];

Fairly standard stuff, but here's the rub.  If a error in my app occurs while
this sheet is displayed, I want to be able to dismiss the sheet from a external
Controller and display an appropriate status message in the sheet's parent
window; for example, the external app document (that my application is chewing
on) unexpectedly closes.  My sheet knows the external Controller that calls
+beginSheet: because this external Controller's identity is passed to the
method which calls +beginSheet:.

Based on my previous history, there is probably something plainly simple, but
I'm just missing it.

Thanks in advance,

John Love
Touch the Future! Teach!