On Jun 24, 2010, at 4:35 AM, jonat...@mugginsoft.com wrote:
>> I have a NSOutlineView bound to a NSTreeController that delivers my model
>> objects. That NSTreeController sorts the model objects through sort
>> descriptors. What I would like to do is save the current selection and
>> restore it at a later time.
>>
>> Saving is easy, I get the -selectedObjects from the tree controller, extract
>> my model objects and store a unique key that allows me to identify the
>> objects when I look them up later.
>>
>> Restoring proves to be tricky - for me anyway. I can locate my model objects
>> properly and build an index path for each one I want to select. However, the
>> index paths the tree controller seems to expect is the one AFTER applying
>> the sort order.
>>
>> My model is not sorted in the same way the tree controller's representation
>> is. The only I can find out the correct (for selection) index paths is to
>> sort my model like the tree controller does and find the index paths after
>> that. That's terribly inelegant and potentially expensive. I think the tree
>> controller should either accept -selectionIndexPaths the way I see them in
>> my model OR let me see the ordered collection of how my model ended up being
>> represented.
>>

> Maybe you know all this but:
>
> 1. NSTreeController items are subclasses of NSTreeNode (see the 10.5 release
> notes).

I was deterred to do this after reading this in the documentation for
-arrangedObjects

-----
Special Considerations
Prior to Mac OS X v10.5 this method returned an opaque root node representing
all the currently displayed objects. This method should be used for binding, no
assumption should be made about what methods this object supports.
-----

I feel a little stupid as it's obviously referring to prior 10.5, although the
language could be clearer.

Thanks all for your help!

Regards
Markus