On Jun 23, 2010, at 5:11 PM, Patrick William Walker wrote:

> NSUserDefaults *prefs = [NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults];
>
> [prefs setObject: @"120" forKey: @"Length"];
>
> [prefs synchronize];
>

> When the program is run in the iPhone simulator (v3.2, not using 4.0 yet), it
> just dies.  Nothing on the console log so I set a breakpoint and got a
> backtrace.  It's pointing to the setObject: method call and it's generating
> an access exception.  If I comment out the setObject portion, it runs fine.

My only guess is that you have some other code elsewhere in the app that’s
incorrectly calling -release on the shared NSUserDefaults instance, causing it
to be dealloced, so the next access to that object will crash. Take a careful
look at the other places in your code that use NSUserDefaults.

—Jens