I'm developing a custom scrolling view, and I could either subclass
UIScrollView, or subclass UIView and drop it into a UIScrollView in IB. I
prefer the former approach, because it's more straightforward when using the
view (which we use in many places).

However, the only way to update the view is to either become the scroll view's
delegate, or override the contentSize property setter, and call
setNeedsDisplay. Neither of these solutions seems very elegant or obvious.

And just for reference, UITableView subclasses UIScrollView, and doesn't make
itself the delegate (at least, it doesn't declare the protocol in the header).

Is there a smarter way to do this?

TIA,
Rick