You may not be getting the answers you want here because it's quite possible
nobody knows. I would say this is one of the times I'd go use one of my
developer program support incidents (in fact 2 out of 3 I have used have been
about networking and I've gotten great answers).

The names CFStream and NSInput/OutputStream really suggest you want a stream
socket underlying them, not a UDP one, but I can't find a thing in the
documentation which actually says that.

The only three ways to find out for sure are to write some code to test it, or
use a support incident, or search the developer forums.

If you search the developer forums for 'CFStream udp' you may find out whether
UDP sockets can be wrapped in a CFStream and may find an answer about whether
UDP sockets can be backgrounded using the VOIP key. Make sure you search back
more than the default 90 days to find your UDP answer. I can find only one post
about each of those, however they're both from people whom I believe know what
they are talking about.