My Mac OS X application for Leopard and Snow Leopard saves documents with a
custom file extension, but the documents' content format is XML. I want my
users to see a Quick Look preview of the documents' contents when they select
one in the Finder and hit the spacebar. Since Apple's built-in Text.qlgenerator
plug-in recognizes XML files, I should be able to get this to work with
appropriate settings in my application's Info.plist file without writing my own
Quick Look generator. I've got this working if I use the Finder to change the
file extension on one of the documents to .xml -- hitting the spacebar shows me
the document's XML contents. But when the document has my custom file
extension, Quick Look only shows me the document's icon.

My Google search turned up many tips about how to set up my Info.plist file so
that Quick Look will work with my custom file extension, but I can't get it to
work. Can anybody supply step-by-step instructions?

The tips say to add "public.xml" to the UTTypeConformsTo entry in the
UTExportedTypeDeclarations entry in Info.plist, then run 'sudo qlmanage -r' in
Terminal. But my Info.plist file has always used "public.xml," and that doesn't
seem to be enough. My Info.plist file has also always had a
UTTypeTagSpecification entry with the value set to my custom file extension.

--

Bill Cheeseman - b...@cheeseman.name