On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 15:49:19 +0200, Jean-Daniel Dupas said:

>> Just an aesthetic question. I've implemented an API for cocoa plugins
>in my app, and the plugins use a custom extension, ftplugin. These
>plugins show up as folders in the finder, even though I've set the app
>icon to an icns file. Is there something particular I have to do to have
>the plugin treated as a package with my custom icon showing?
>

>Yes, declare an UTI for your file/plugin type and make sure your type
>conforms to  com.apple.package (take care to not put a white space
>before or after com.apple.package, else it will not works).

John,

You should do as Jean-Daniel says, but also, you should set the 'bundle
bit' of your .ftplugin files.

The system only knows to show .ftplugin folders as flat files if it can
find your UTI somewhere.  If the user has your app, then that's fine,
but if not then he'll still see a folder.

The 'bundle bit' is a piece of filesystem metadata that indicates a
folder is a bundle aka package aka it should look like a flat file.  Any
folder with the bundle bit on will always look like a file on any
system.  See 'man GetFileInfo' for more.