>> when adding a file you should be asked if you would like it to be copied to
>> the project's directory.
>> this should be a checkbox in a dialog. have you tried this?

That's what I did initially.  The files themselves are not marked to
be deployed with any target, but instead the folder they are in has
been marked, so I've been told to just add files to the folder, and
not import them to XCode, so I rolled back my changes to the project,
and then just added files to the folder without making changes in
XCode.  The files appear in XCode as a result of me doing this, and
they deploy fine to the emulator, but do not deploy to the device.  I
have replaced the actual SQLite database previously, but when I
replaced that again last night, it also did not deploy.  I always
rename the old files rather than delete, when I put the old files
back, it worked again, on the device.  It worked either way on the
emulator.  I am writing for iPad only, I have two targets, and both
versions, the files are set at the folder level, and in both cases,
some files from the folders are deployed to the device and some are
not, but they all work fine on the emulator.  I am deleting my app
before deploying every time on both the emulator and the device to
make sure this is true.

If there's another list I'd be better off using, I'd appreciate you
pointing me to it

Thanks

Christian