I'm creating a calculator app, mostly for my own amusement.
My design is - The UILabels on the left are stacked: FIRST,
LAST, DIFF.  The input/displays are on the right.  The
input/displays of each corresponding value are also
UILabels.  Over the label are UIButtons (set to zero alpha),
one for each unit.  One tap on a button lets the user enter
a value for the display.  Double tap lets the user enter
only the unit that the user tapped upon.  (That is, if the
display is 1234, and the user taps once on the 2, the
keyboard will display 1234, and the user inputs away.  If
the user double taps on the 2, the keyboard will display 2,
and the user can change only it.)  The user can also drag a
value from one display into another.  This list goes on and
on, but the important part is the one tap, two taps.

At first, I thought I use UIKit to drag connectors to my
IBAction methods.  Some of these (will) parse the text out
of the input/displays, take the user's input, concatenate
the result and after closing the keyboard, displays the
corrected input.  It seemed simple thinking - drag the
UIButton tag for one tap to the one tap method, drag the tag
for two taps to the two tap method, so it was quite a
surprise to start setting up the connections, and find there
isn't a tag for TAP or 2TAPS, but instead the list below.

Did End On Exit
Editing Changed
Editing Did Begin
Editing Did End
Touch Cancel
Touch Down
Touch Down Repeat
Touch Drag Enter
Touch Drag Exit
Touch Drag Inside
Touch Drag Outside
Touch Up Inside
Touch Up Outside
Value Changed

So, fine I think.  I'll have to write code that gets armed
with a Touch Down or Touch Down Repeat, and fired if Touch
Up Inside also happens, else it will be a Touch Down
followed by a Touch Drag of some kind, and then the imagined
code started seeming very complicated.  One thing I've
learnt is that as soon as things start seeming very
complicated, I'm probably overthinking things, and there is
a simpler way of doing it that everybody else uses.

My searching for answers brings up coding and coding
examples from UITouch and UIEvent .  I'm not finding
anything that helps me understand UIKit connections from a
UIButton in terms of TAP, TOUCH, DRAG etc, etc.  If anyone
could point me to a direct explanation, I'd be most
grateful.

Thank you,
Ronald Ramage