On Jul 16, 2010, at 4:28 PM, Eric Gorr wrote:

> Is there a unix tool to which I can pass a file and have it tell me where the
> icon for the file is coming from?
>
> Thank you._______________________________________________

Also see NSWorkspace Class Reference

iconForFile:
Returns an image containing the icon for the specified file.

- (NSImage *)iconForFile:(NSString *)fullPath

Parameters
fullPath
The full path to the file.
Return Value
The icon associated with the file.

Discussion
The returned image has an initial size of 32 pixels by 32 pixels.

Availability
        • Available in Mac OS X v10.0 and later.
See Also
        • – getInfoForFile:application:type:
        • – iconForFileType:
        • – iconForFiles: