On 25/07/2010, at 9:00 AM, mark wrote:

 A problem which is driving me spastic:
 I have an NSBrowser that allowes multiple selection.
When I double click one of the selected items, all other selected items deselect. I have set the doubleaction and action methods and correct target. These are called AFTER the deselection.
 I have tried to override doClick and that doesn't prevent the deselection.
 Any ideas?

In general this is the expected behaviour. Most stuff that handles multiple selection doesn't wait to see if a click is going to end up as the first of a double-click, and so processes the first click in a straightforward way. Typically, this is to deselect everything except what was clicked (unless modifier keys are down that might extend or flip the selection). On the second click, the double-click is detected and the double action triggered.

How does the Finder do it?

It is possible to be smarter when processing clicks and wait to see if a second click arrives within the double-click time before processing the first click, but you rarely see code that does this, since for one thing it seems unresponsive - every single-click will have no effect until the double-click period elapses.

--Graham